University and College Rankings
U.S.News & World Report
In its 2014 rankings, U.S.News & World Report's America's Best Colleges rated Illinois as the number 11 public university and the number 41 national university.
According to the 2014 - 2015 U.S.News & World Report's graduate and undergraduate rankings: (If noted otherwise, it is the most recent information available.)
- The Graduate School of Library and Information Science's program is 1st in the nation.
- The College of Engineering is ranked 5th in undergraduate and 6th in graduate programs nationally.
- The College of Business is ranked 16th in undergraduate programs nationally.
- The College of Education is ranked 26th in graduate programs nationally.
- The Department of Civil Engineering is 1st in graduation programs nationally.
- The campus is 1st in undergraduate engineering science and engineering physics.
- The campus ranks 1st in the study of condensed matter physics.
U.S. News Historical Rankings
Open Doors ranks Illinois second (first among public universities) in the number of international students and 13th in the nations "top 20 Doctoral/Research Institution" for total number of study abroad students.
Tops in International Education
NAFSA: Association of International Educators listed the University of Illinois as one of five recipients of the 2008 Senator Paul Simon Award for Campus Internationalization. The award recognizes outstanding and innovative efforts in campus internationalization.
Peace Corps Volunteers
Illinois ranked 20th in the nation among major universities in the number of undergraduate alumni who joined the Peace Corps in 2011.
More High Rankings From National and International Institutions
In 2010, The Times Higher Education World University Rankings list Illinois as 33rd in the world, 8th among American public universities.
The Wall Street Journal ranks Illinois 3rd nationally (September, 2010) in terms of quality of undergraduates, as reported by corporate recruiters.
In 2010, the Institute for Higher Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University ranked Illinois as the 25th best university in the world and the 19th best university in America.
Illinois ranks 47th in the world in the 2010 High Impact Universities ranking based upon research performance (http://www.highimpactuniversities.com/rpi.html)
The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) ranks the University of Illinois as 25th in the World (2010); 4th World rank in Engineering/Technology and Computer Sciences (2010); 18th World rank in Life and Agriculture Sciences (2010); 23rd World rank in Natural Sciences and Mathematics (2010)
One of the Largest Libraries in the Nation
The University Library is one of the largest public university libraries in the nation, with more than 24 million items in the main library and over 35 departmental libraries and divisions. More than one million patrons from around the world access the online catalog each week. The Rare Book and Manuscript Library has among its collections:
- The earliest specimen of printing in the world
- The oldest book printed in moveable type
- The original script of War of the Worlds
- The first folio of Shakespeare, 1623
- One of only three surviving copies of the first edition of Moore’s A Visit from St. Nicholas
Grainger Engineering Library Information Center is the largest engineering library in the country and one of the world's most technologically advanced information management and retrieval centers.
The Music Library is one of the largest collections of its kind at a public university, and is currently ranked among the top ten music libraries in the United States. The collections contain more than 520,000 scores and 150,000 sound recordings.
This content managed and updated by Public Affairs.