Principal Research Facilities
This page lists some principal research facilities at Illinois. You may find additional information on our college or specific department sites.
- Advanced Transportation Research and Engineering Laboratory (ATREL)
Research and educational programs relevant to the transportation industry.
- Air Conditioning and Refrigeration Center
Precompetitive research on energy-efficient, ozone-safe technologies.
- Beckman Institute for Advanced Science and Technology
Basic research in physical sciences, computation, engineering, biology, behavior and cognition focused around the themes of biological intelligence, human-computer intelligent interaction, and molecular and electronic nanostructures. Institute-wide research facilities:
- Biotechnology Center Interdisciplinary program augmenting biotechnology research with state-of-the-art services, outreach activities and educational, training and career activities.
Major research facilities:
- Bureau of Economic and Business Research (BEBR)
Research and outreach programs focusing on the United States and state economies.
- Center for African Studies
- Center for Advanced Study
Primary formal venue for promoting and honoring scholarship and creative activity on campus.
- Center for Biodiversity
Study, monitoring and inventorying of biotic communities, exotic species and organisms.
- Center for East Asian Studies
- Center for Human Resource Management
- Center for International Business Education & Research (Illinois CIBER)
Study and teaching of international business and global competition.
- Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
- Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology
Multidisciplinary, intercampus research and education on nanoscale devices.
- Center for Plasma Material Interactions
Studying particle-surface interactions relevant to fusion power and materials processing systems.
- Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
Promoting research and scholarship in South Asia and Middle East
- Center for the Study of Reading
- Center for Zoonoses Research (CZR)
Research, training and public education on food safety, infectious diseases and zoonoses such as West Nile Virus and Chronic Wasting Disease.
- Children and Family Research Center
Interdisciplinary research on a wide range of issues pertaining to child safety and child and family well-being.
- Coordinated Science Laboratory (CSL)
Information technology, telecommunications and nanotechnology research.
- data and Information Systems Research Lab
Supports research about information properties, technologies and creation/management.
- Early Childhood Research Institute on Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services
Study and promotion of early intervention and preschool practices for children and families of diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds.
- Environmental Toxicology Program
Interdisciplinary research and study of the interaction between chemicals and living organisms.
- European Union Center
Teaching, research and outreach on Europe.
- Experimental Music Studios
Center for electro-acoustic and computer music composition, education and research.
- Fire Service Institute
- Human and Community Development Department Research Programs
Research in child and adolescent development, family studies and community development.
- Illinois Center for Cryptography and Information Protection
Collaborative research on information protection such as public-key cryptography and digital watermarking.
- Illinois Program for Research in the Humanities
Interdisciplinary study in the humanities, arts and social sciences.
- Information Trust Institute
Combines research and education with industrial outreach in trustworthy and secure information systems.
- Institute of Aviation Human Factors Division
Research in Aviation Human Factors and support for non-aviation disciplines’ studies of human-computer interaction, artificial intelligence, cognitive aging, complex systems, human performance modeling and skill acquisition; education and support for pilot training program.
- Institute for Genomic Biology (IGB)
Interdisciplinary research, education and outreach in animal and plant biology.
- Institute of Government and Public Affairs
Research, education and assistance on public policy issues.
- Kolb-Proust Archive for Research
Online searchable archives on author Marcel Proust and his time.
- Land use Evolution and Impact Assessment Model (LEAM)
Computer-based system that simulates land-use change across space and time to visualize and test the impact of policy decisions (joint effort of the Department of Urbana and Regional Planning and the Department of Geography).
- Materials Research Laboratory (FS-MRL)
Materials science, condensed matter physics, and materials chemistry research.
- Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory
Advanced research in photonics, microelectronics, biotechnology and nanotechnology.
- Mid-America Earthquake Center
Research into earthquake engineering problems of the central and eastern United States focusing upon damage synthesis, consequence minimization and hazard definition.
- National Center for Supercomputing Applications (NCSA)
Development and deployment of cutting-edge, high-performance computing, networking and information technologies.
- Physics Research
- Prairie Research Institute
Inlcudes the following divisions: Illinois Natural History Survey, Illinois State Archaeological Survey, Illinois State Geological Survey, Illinois State Water Survey, and the Illinois Sustainable Technology Center.
- Russian and Eastern European Studies Center
- Siebel Center for Computer Science
State-of-the-art facility for education, research and administration in the College of Computer Science.
Soybean Free Air gas Concentration Enrichment facility, research on the effects of atmospheric changes upon major crops in Illinois.
- Transition Research Institute at Illinois
Research promoting successful transition from school to adult life for youth with disabilities.
Science & Technology Center involved in research addressing pressing problems in water purification (funded by the NSF with partners at Stanford as well as Clark Atlanta University.