Web Services has teamed up with Unified Communications' MicroSoft Lync software so you can upload your image to the Directoryand have a "short url" for your image.
You can upload an image (must be less than 30k) on the "Image" tab in the Profile Editor: it will automatically be assigned a short url: http://illinois.edu/ds/person/netID.jpg (or .bmp or .gif). You can use this url to link in other electronic places (web, enewsletter, email etc).
If you don't have photo-editing software, you can try using a variety of online photo editors (Phixr.com, picresize.com, resize2mail.com, resizr.com, webresizer.com).
We've found freeonlinephotoeditor.com to have the fewest steps to get you closest to the 30k size. To use it:
- Go to http://www.freeonlinephotoeditor.com;
- In the upper left-hand corner, click the "Browse" button to location your image on your computer, or use a URL;
- Click the "Upload" or "Use URL" button (based on which way you choose);
- Under the "Browse" button you'll see new links to edit your image;
- Click the "Resize" button: you'll see a scroll bar which will allow you to resize your image. The corresponding width, height and Filesize (in KB or kilobytes) will change as you move the scroll bar left and right;
- When your file is 30k or less, you will click the "Resize" button just below the "Filesize;"
- You'll now see "Changes applied!" and the option links to either "undo" or "save."
- Save the file to your desktop (or appropriate folder) for uploading to the Profile Editor.