Below is a list of all new functionality associated with the Jan 4, release of the Web Services Calendar.
Toolbox Calendar Summary
- Display icon for someone to submit an event.
- Display events in one list or two (separated by multi-day/single-day lists)
- Adding a header and footer to a public calendar screen
- New Calendar links and RSS
- Sharing events with the Public Engagement Portal
- New Time increments
Public Calendar Summary
- Tab layout for month, week, day, and search
- Information Toolbar for sharing, social media, rss, contact info, calendar info, and adding events
- Hiding and showing the Search and Mini Calendar
- Hiding and showing tabs and borders
- Hiding and showing Speaker and Location on the List screens
- Change Calendar Width
- Change Calendar Colors
Toolbox Calendar Details
1. Display icon for someone to submit an event. In the Toolbox under create/edit on the General tab there is a yes/no question asking if you would like to display an icon for users to submit events. If you choose yes the plus sign icon to the right will be displayed in your calendar.
To receive email notifications when events are submitted go to the Privileges tab. Enter emails as "system emails" at the top of the screen.
2. Display events in one list or two (separated by multi-day/single-day lists). Lists in the Calendar (month, week, day, and grid) can be separated into two lists, one for single day events and one for multi day events. This is specifically designed for any calendar that has many repeating events. Examples might include exhibits or facility hours. The two list approach will allow users to focus in on true events without being flooded by repeating events.
Single events are defined as any event that repeats less than 6 times. Multi day events are defined as any event that repeats more than 5 times.
3. Adding a header and footer to a public calendar screen. Headers and footers can be added to any calendar screen. This is the content that you can insert before or after any calendar. In the Toolbox under create/edit on the Appearance/Screens tab there are two options. 1) Add a header or footer to all of the public calendar screens and 2) add a header or footer to either of the request event screens.
4. New Calendar links and RSS. Links to the Calendar and RSS can be found on the new "Links/RSS tab in the Toolbox under create/edit. The new tab includes:
- link to calendar
- link to RSS feed and addtional RSS information
- link to public Event Sbumistion Form
- link to each campus master list of public calendars
5. Sharing events with the Public Engagement Portal. A new option is available when adding events. Answer "yes" to Share with Public Engagement and your event will automatically be included in the Public Engagement Portal. This is found in the Toolbox under Manage on the Add Event tab.
6. New time increments. When adding events time can now be inserted in 5 minute increments. This is found on the Add Event screen.
Public Calendar Details
1. Tab layout for month, week, day, and search. Copy the URL while on any tab to use that tab as the default link from a website. Next and previous is only used on the "All Event" tab.
2. Information Toolbar. From left to right the icons represent:
- Exports for iCal, Outlook 2003, Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010
- Links to numerous social media services
- Send to friend
- RSS feed
- Calendar Information
- Contact Information
- Add an Event
3. Hiding and showing seach and mini calendar. The search and mini calendar can be turned off or on for every screen. By default the search and mini is on. To turn it off go to the Skin Designer in the Toolbox, go to the Applications tab, and click edit for the Calendar CSS. Scroll down to the section labeled "/* START: turn borders off by adding/removing comments in section. */". Follow directions for removing comments and adding comments, this will update the CSS to turn borders and tabs off. To comment something out simply place "--" in front of it like the example.
4. Hiding and showing tabs and borders. Tabs and borders can be turned off by editing the CSS. The tabs will be replaced by a series of horizontal links. To turn tabs off go to the Skin Designer in the Toolbox, go to the Applications tab, and click edit for the Calendar CSS. The very first CSS block relates to the search and mini. Change any value from "block" to "none" or vice versa. To turn the search and mini off for every screen except the search tab change the first value "#search-and-mini-wrapper" to "display:none".
5. Hiding and showing speaker and location on the list screens (month, week, day, etc...). Speaker and location can be turned on by editing the CSS. Go to the Skin Designer in the Toolbox, go to the Applications tab, and click edit for the Calendar CSS. Scroll down to the section labeled ".event-location" and ".event-speaker" and change their values to "display:block".
6. Change Calendar width. The Calendar width can be changed on by editing the CSS. Go to the Skin Designer in the Toolbox, go to the Applications tab, and click edit for the Calendar CSS. Scroll down to the section labeled "/*START: adjust width by setting widths below, change all by the same number of pixels */". First determine how many pixels you would like to change the width by. Then add or subtract that number from every value in this section.
7. Change Calendar colors. The Calendar colors can be changed on by editing the CSS. Go to the Skin Designer in the Toolbox, go to the Applications tab, and click edit for the Calendar CSS. Scroll down to the section labeled "/* START: change colors */". These are simple text and link colors that can be changed. For more in-depth color changes search through the CSS for the specific style to change.