LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION – NRES PHOTO CONTEST!
Getting ready to embark on a great summer NRES adventure? Whether you are working on your capstone or just enjoying the wonders of the world this summer, be sure to capture those special moment on film! The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science is hosting its Third Annual Photo Contest for online graduate students. This is a great opportunity to show your University of Illinois Spirit. Sharing your favorite NRES moment, most memorable internship assignment, or unique research location could win you a great prize!
The contest will end September 1, 2014.
PHOTO CONTEST CATEGORIES
- You In Action! Photographs in this category must show you at work on course-related work or your capstone project. Make sure you submit a caption (maximum length 150 words) with your photograph to tell us about your experience. Please be sure to obtain permission to take photos in the field, lab, or other work area.
- Natural Resources/Nature: Photos should capture unusual, remarkable, or surprising things you encounter while working your capstone project or while taking a break from studies. It may be a unique landscape, a surprising species, or just something that amazes you. Make sure you submit a caption (maximum length 150 words) with your photograph to tell us about your experience. Please be sure to obtain permission to take photos in the field, lab, or other work area.
- You in Action! Capture the sites, actions, and sounds of your experience in video. Be sure to include yourself in action! This is an outstanding opportunity for you to tell others of your adventure. Maximum length 2 minutes and only one video per student, please. Videos may be comprised of moving video, still images presented in a slideshow format, animation or any combination thereof. Be sure to obtain permission to take video footage in the field, lab, or other work area.
Entries will be judged on creativity, composition and originality. Submissions will be reviewed by a panel of NRES faculty members not previously associated with the online program. All decisions will be final. Winning entries will be announced at the fall NRES Online Students On-Campus event, September 13, 2014.
Students submitting photos and/or video files to this contest grant the University of Illinois (UIUC) and the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science (NRES) permission to use these photos/videos for promotional purposes.
Entries are not permitted to violate the rights of any third party. Entries that violate copyright or
contain copyrighted music or images will be automatically disqualified unless entrant can prove
authorization from the copyright holder to use said content.
The Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science is not responsible or liable for any submission problems, damage or loss arising from, or connected with, this photo contest. Submissions that do not comply with contest rules will not be eligible to win. By submitting photos/videos to this contest you are declaring your understanding of the rules.
1.) Catch those fabulous moments in either digital photography or video format.
- Photos must be high resolution, minimum 300 dpi.
- Photos will be accepted in JPEG, GIF or PDF format, and should be no larger than 3 MB.
- Videos should be in MOV, WAV, or MP4 format, narrated, and no longer than 2 minutes in duration. Large video files can be submitted on disc or via YouTube. Email the YouTube link to Piper Hodson, Student Services Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2.) Entry must be the original work of the student.
3.) Students may submit up to 3 photographs and/or one video entry.
4.) Whether doing a research project or an internship, the written approval of a facility manager, employer, supervisor, and/or any other additional person(s) in the photo is required.
5.) Provide entry information for each photo and/or video you submit. You must include: your name, NETID, phone number, location of picture, date taken (must be between Sept. 1, 2013 and Sept 1, 2014), category, title of picture, brief caption (150 words max), and whether this photo was edited or altered in any way.
6.) All entries must be received by September 1, 2014. Clearly mark your entry “Photo Contest” and submit it by:
- Attaching an electronic file to your email
- Submitting a disc and the required entry information to the NRES office at N-509 Turner Hall (MC-047).
- Mail the entry to Photo Contest, Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science, University of Illinois at Urbana – Champaign, N – 509 Turner Hall, 1102 S. Goodwin Ave. Urbana, Illinois 61801.
If you have any questions regarding the photo contest, please email email@example.com