My name is Landen Crews and I am a senior in the Marketing & Information Systems/Technology program in the College of Business. I am super excited to share some of my college experiences with you over the course of the next few months.
A friend of mine recently asked me to share several pieces of advice on what I think it takes to survive in college. So as my first official blog post of the year, I will share a list of the seven things that I have found to be interesting or insightful during my time here at UIUC.
1) Let your passions drive your actions - It’s likely that your passion isn’t accounting or supply chain management but rather something much deeper. Don’t lose sight of who you want to be and what you want to do in order to find the highest paying job after school. Find a company and career that will allow you to drink from the well of your passions.
2) You don’t need to have THE plan, but you do need to have a plan. - It is okay that you don’t have the next 40 years of your life figured out quite yet. Even if you don’t know where your road may take you, it is important to know what you would like to be doing for the next few. Know what kind of clubs you want to get involved with and have a plan on how you want to take on a leadership positiion within.
3) You don’t need to have life figured out, but you should surround yourself by people who you think do. - Be observant of the people you admire most. It is likely that they have had the same struggles and obstacles as you. Everyone from Jesus to Jay-Z and everyone in between had someone that they admired and looked up to. Even if these people are parents or fictional characters, be a student of how they live their life.
4) Take advantage of the amazing things we have on this campus. - It is very easy to live in a bubble within the College of Business. There’s a reason why companies like YouTube and AirBnB had their roots at UIUC, go see how you can make an impact with those people who are doing amazing things.
5) Be a pirate. - Take yourself down a road where not many have gone before and see how you can make an impact. What looks crazy now may be the next big thing; always take the opportunity to look like the crazy one.
6) Don’t be afraid to be different - The people we remember remember most are the ones who were different than the others. We learn about people like Steve Jobs, MLK, and JFK because they changed the status quo.
7) Know your strengths and weaknesses - The best leaders in the world are successful because they know what they do best and where they need improvement.
Have a great fall and GO ILLINI!!
Senior, Marketing & Information Systems/Technology