Health Careers Opportunity Program (HCOP) Summer Public Health Science Institute (SPHSI) for Rising 6-12 grade students
Application Deadline: May 20, 2013
Click the following link to download the application '2013 Summer Public Health Science Institute (SPHSI).
Sponsored by the Bureau of Health Professions U.S. Department of HHS-HRSA and Division of Health Careers Diversity and Development
Cost: The entire program is FREE
Program dates & Times: June 24-August 2, Monday-Friday, 9:00am-3:00pm
Location: UIC School of Public Health 1603 W. Taylor Chicago, IL 60612
The purpose of the SPHSI is to:
- Provide academic enrichment for mathematics, reading, writing, science, standardized test-taking strategies, social development/enhancement skills, field trips and research
- Increase awareness of public health, its relevance to society and its career paths
- Better prepare students for entry into health professions schools
- Improve test taking skills
- Prepare and motivate students to take competitive courses such as Honors and AP
- Provide workshops on how to compete for best scholarship offers; the cost of college education; time management; general financial aid; how to integrate interest in sports with excellent academic performance; visit public health sites and local area hospitals
- Provide opportunities for students to interact with public health professionals and public health graduate students
- Provide opportunities for rising 12th grade students to participate in public health research
- Workshops on transiting from eighth grade to high school
- Opportunity to earn Service/Service Learning Hours
- Opportunity to fulfill 12th grade Senior Project Requirement
- Opportunity to earn high school enrichment hours
- Must be enrolling in grades 6-12 in fall 2013
- Must have a minimum GPA of 2.50(Ct) at the end of the current (2012-13) school year
- Must be interested in pursuing a career in health professions
Stipends: No stipends will be awarded for summer 2013.
Letter of Acceptance/Mandatory Orientation
Accepted students/parents will receive an acceptance letter via email by the end of May. Student must attend orientation along with a parent/guardian. Mandatory Parent/Student Orientation: Friday, June 14, 4:00-6:00pm.
Completed application packet includes:
Application for Admission, essay, most recent report card or transcript, counselor assessment form and 3 teacher recommendation forms. Mail or deliver completed application packet to: UIC School of Public Health, Urban Health and Diversity Programs, 1603 W. Taylor, Room 152, Chicago, IL 60612. Faxed or electronic documents will not be reviewed.
Contact us: (312) 355-2951 or email@example.com.