|go to week of Jul 27, 2014||27||28||29||30||31||1||2|
|go to week of Aug 3, 2014||3||4||5||6||7||8||9|
|go to week of Aug 10, 2014||10||11||12||13||14||15||16|
|go to week of Aug 17, 2014||17||18||19||20||21||22||23|
|go to week of Aug 24, 2014||24||25||26||27||28||29||30|
|go to week of Aug 31, 2014||31||1||2||3||4||5||6|
The Chicago-based WGN radio station began its life in 1923 as WJAZ, a small Zenith owned station broadcasting from the "Crystal Room" studio at the Edgewater Beach Hotel. In 1924, the Chicago Tribune, under the management of Colonel Robert R. McCormick, assumed control of the station and gave it the call letters WGN to represent “World's Greatest Newspaper.” WGN provided local and world news broadcasts to its listeners as well as live broadcasts of political and sporting events, and its famous “The Theatre of the Air” program which was one of the first produced before a live studio audience and broadcast across the country. This exhibit highlights the heyday of early American radio through scripts, music, correspondence, and production notes.