Indonesian Students Club

Back to Listing

Theatre of the Air: Chicago's WGN Radio Series 1940-1956

Event Type
Exhibition
Sponsor
Sousa Archives and Center for American Music
Location
Sousa Archives and Center for American Music, 1103 S. Sixth Street, Champaign
Date
Nov 1, 2012 - Dec 31, 2012  
Cost
No Cost
E-Mail
sousa@illinois.edu
Phone
217-244-9309
Views
5962
Originating Calendar
Library Calendar

The Chicago-based WGN radio station began its life in 1923 as WJAZ, a small Zenith owned station broadcasting from the "Crystal Room" studio at the Edgewater Beach Hotel. In 1924, the Chicago Tribune, under the management of Colonel Robert R. McCormick, assumed control of the station and gave it the call letters WGN to represent “World's Greatest Newspaper.” WGN provided local and world news broadcasts to its listeners as well as live broadcasts of political and sporting events, and its famous “The Theatre of the Air” program which was one of the first produced before a live studio audience and broadcast across the country. This exhibit highlights the heyday of early American radio through scripts, music, correspondence, and production notes.

link for robots only