Do you want to keep up on the work that Research IT is doing? We publish a monthly newsletter with updates to keep you informed, and copies are archived on the Research IT website, available at https://researchit.illinois.edu/category/newsletter/.
Keep up on the latest news from Research IT by reading the Research IT blog, or simply subscribe by entering your email address in the right navigation panel of the page.
FY 17 Progress
During Fiscal Year 17 the Technology Services Research IT team invested time in strategic planning and building implementation plans in preparation for a new budget cycle.
- With one-time funding, the team developed partnerships with the iSchool, Library, and OVCR to build a service taxonomy that will seed the Research IT Portal.
- An investment was made in a Software Carpentry affiliation, which enables the expansion of Carpentry instructors and the increase in workshops offered.
- The Illinois Campus Cluster Program continued meeting high-performance compute needs of researchers, and expanded its portfolio in response to requests for time allocations, to include Research Computing as a Service (RCaaS).
- The Active Data Storage (ADS) service was announced.
- Researcher and faculty adoption of Amazon Web Services (AWS) has grown through individual consulting sessions, bi-weekly AWS-led training and consulting sessions, and through funded case studies being conducted by NCSA Students Pushing Innovation (SPIN).
- A collaboration with CITL and the Library yielded a summer statistical consulting program and will expand over the upcoming academic year to include database consulting.
- A multi-disciplinary collaboration, which is aligned with IDSI, is evolving around social media analytics.
Social Media Analytics
The Social Media Analytics team has submitted a NSF Big Data Spokes pre-proposal to the Illinois limited submissions process. Our goal is to apply for this grant in September 2017, pending selection by the OVCR’s office.
LabVIEW CLAD Certification Training
LabVIEW CLAD Certification Training is available August 14-18. This training, which typically costs $8,000 is being offered to Illinois faculty, staff and students for only $30. LabVIEW is a "systems engineering software for applications that require test, measurement, and control with rapid access to hardware and data insights."
Registration is required by August 1, 2017. For more information and to register visit the Illinois WebStore.
University Data Summit
The University Data Summit is an all-day event, August 23 at the I-Hotel, to start a movement toward being a data-smart university by examining student life, faculty support and effective resource allocation.