4-H E-newsletter: September 26, 2017
- September 27: Vermilion County 4-H Fair Review Meeting @ Vermilion County Extension Office, 7:00 p.m.
- September 28: 4-H Fall Leader Meetings for Champaign & Vermilion Counties
- Champaign County: @ Champaign County Extension Auditorium, 6:00 p.m.
- Vermilion County: @ DACC-Laura Lee Room, 6:30 p.m.
- September 30: Speaking for Illinois 4-H Event @ Boone County Extension Office, 10:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
- October 1-7: National 4-H Week
- October 4-15: 4-H Paper Clover Campaign @ Danville Tractor Supply Co.
- October 5: 4-H Volunteer e-Forum @ Champaign & Vermilion Co. Extension Offices, 6:00-7:30 p.m. (Dinner at 5:30 p.m.)
- October 13-15: 4-H Shooting Sports Instructor Training @ 4-H Memorial Camp
- October 22: 4-H Horse Workshop @ Champaign County Extension Office, 12:00-2:30 p.m.
- October 29: Champaign County 4-H Achievement Celebration @ Champaign-Urbana Elks Lodge, 3:00 p.m.
- November 2: 4-H Volunteer e-Forum @ Champaign & Vermilion Co. Extension Offices, 6:00-7:30 p.m. (Dinner at 5:30 p.m.)
- November 3: Danville Area Community College Family Science Night
- December 7: 4-H Volunteer e-Forum @ Champaign & Vermilion Co. Extension Offices, 6:00-7:30 p.m. (Dinner at 5:30 p.m.)
- January 12: Vermilion Co. 4-H Member Re-enrollment & Beef Project Enrollment Deadline
Thank you to all of the 4-H families that participated in the Vermilion County 4-H Fair Review Survey. We appreciate your feedback and will take your suggestions into consideration for future 4-H fairs.
Over half of the survey participants said they would like to attend an in-person meeting to discuss the 2017 Vermilion County 4-H Fair so we have scheduled the Fair Review Meeting for Wednesday, September 27 at 7:00 p.m. at the Extension Office (3164 N Vermilion St. Danville). The agenda was sent out via e-mail on Friday. This meeting is open to 4-H members, families, and volunteers.
Note: Many comments from the survey pertainined to admission, non 4-H events, and vendors. Admission, parking, building maintenance, the grounds crew, the carnival, grandstand events, vendors, or open and junior shows will need to be directed to the Vermilion County Fair Board, which is a separate entity. If you would like to contact the Vermilion County Fair board, please let Kristin know and she can forward their contact information.
More than 3,100 4-H members exhibited in the Illinois State Fair 4-H Project Show this year. We had all kinds of excitement… from hands on demonstrations by the U of I College of Vet Med to the announcement of a $1.5 million dollar grant from Google and the launch of a virtual reality 4-H world. As many cool things as we had, we know there are always ways we can improve. We want to hear it all… the good, the not so good, and the downright amazing. Write us a note at illinois4H@illinois.edu.
It’s time to enroll in 4-H for the 2017-2018 4-H year! 4-H members that are re-enrolling should not create a new profile in 4-H Online. Re-enrolling families will just update their current information. If you cannot remember your e-mail address, please contact your local Extension Office so they can provide you with this information. If you need to reset your password, you can do so by typing in your e-mail address on the Illinois 4-H Online login page and clicking that you forgot your password.
Please note re-enrolling members will still be enrolled in the same projects from the previous year. Select any new projects, and remove any that he/she will not continue. Removing a project will not remove it from historical information. Members re-enrolling in livestock should remove all of their livestock projects and re-enroll due to changes in the system. Make sure to request project books if you need them.
Visit http://il.4honline.com to enroll today!
The October horse workshop will focus on feeding and nutrition:
WHEN: Sunday, October 22 Noon-2:30 pm
WHAT: Potluck and interactive workshop covering feeds and feeding guidelines led by Kirk Dailey. Poisonous weeds identification led by Allison Heinz
WHO: Current and interested 4-H members with all levels of horse knowledge are welcome!
WHERE: Champaign County Extension Office, 801 N Country Fair Dr., Champaign
There is no charge for this event. Register by October 16. Click HERE to register!
Celebrate National 4-H Week With a Window Display
October 1 – 7 is National 4-H Week and your time to shine! Our theme this year is Mission: Adventure –Join the Team. Change the World.
Here’s how you can join in:
- Participate in the Champaign & Vermilion County 4-H Window Display Contest. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to promote 4-H and win some cash for your club!
- Wear your 4-H shirt to school
- Have the mayor sign a 4-H Proclamation available from the Extension Office
- Ask the newspaper reporter to come to a meeting or event
- Take cookies to local businesses
- Visit the nursing home and ask residents if they were in 4-H
- Set up an information table at your school (this would be a great place for a window display)
- Pass out invitations to your friends of your next club meeting
National 4-H Week Social Media Challenge – do one or ALL
- Post a picture of how you are changing the world thru 4-H… Use the hashtag #my4Hworld and #thats4H
- Post a picture of how your 4-H team (your club, your friends, your family… whoever your team is!) Use the hashtag #my4Hteam and #thats4H
- Post a picture of any adventure you’ve taken in 4-H (trip, project work, award… anything) … Use the hashtag #my4Hadventure and #thats4H
- Post a picture of you (alone or with friends) holding the 4-H Mission Adventure logo. You can download it from illinois.edu/n4Hw … Use the hashtag #n4Hw17 and #thats4H
- Post to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram anytime October 1 – 7.
- Tag @Illinois4H so we will see it
- Make the post public if your family is okay with that!
Paw Events at Danville TSC
Danville Tractor Supply Company is hosting a Paw Event on October 7 and is requesting 4-H members to bring their livestock and other 4-H projects to the event for display. Click HERE to find out more about the event. Please contact Ryce at TSC if you would like to participate at 217.431.5756.
4-H Paper Clover at TSC Starts October 4
Each spring and fall, Tractor Supply raises money for 4-H programs with the Paper Clover Campaign, a national in-store fundraiser that benefits 4-H programming. The 2017 Fall Paper Clover Campaign will take place October 4-15.
In store participation is key to a successful campaign! All 4-H clubs are encouraged to contact our local TSC Store in Danville to setup a time to assist customers with store purchases or have a booth to promote your 4-H club. This would be a great time to recruit new members and even ask if your club can have your window display on during National 4-H Week.
Other ideas to on how to collaborate with TSC include:
- Hold fundraisers at your local TSC during holidays!
- Valentine's Day: Sell or donate Valentine's Day cards made by 4-H members
- July 4th: Sell hot dogs and hamburgers
- Fall: Carving pumpkins to sell
- Winter Holidays: Set up a gift-wrapping table (this would be great for 4-H clubs that do not have a treasury!)
- Set up educational livestock clinics in the parking lot of your local TSC store.
Ask your store about using your local TSC as a potential meeting site, field trip, or exhibition location.
If your club is interested in having an event at TSC, contact Ryce at the Danville TSC to discuss options and to make sure they have space to accommodate your club at 217.431.5756. Ask her about how your club can enter the Paper Clover Participation Sweepstakes to earn a gift card for your club.
Champaign County 4-H Achievement Celebration
Champaign County 4-H members, families, and volunteers should save the date for the Achievement Celebration on October 29 at 3:00 p.m. The event will be at the Champaign-Urbana Elks Lodge.
Both Champaign and Vermilion County 4-H Fall Leader Meetings will take place on Thursday, September 28. Champaign County leaders will meet at 6:00 p.m. in the Champaign County Extension Auditorium and Vermilion County leaders will meet at 6:30 p.m. at Danville Area Community College in the Laura Lee Room located in Lincoln Hall. Leaders that are unable to attend should have a co-leader attend or contact 4-H staff to setup an alternate meeting time.
Shooting Sports Volunteer Training Oct. 13-15
Adults interested in teaching the shooting sports hobby to young people should attend the fall adult volunteer certification training for the Illinois 4-H Shooting Sports program Oct. 13-15 at 4-H Memorial Camp in Monticello. Volunteers must be at least 21 years of age. Cost is $60.00.
Volunteers must register through their local U of I Extension office. Check in begins at 6 p.m. on Friday, Oct. 13. The training ends at 2:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 15. Volunteers must be present for all hours of the training to receive their certification.
There are six concentrations of study, and volunteers must choose only one discipline to attend per session. These include archery, rifle, shotgun, pistol, and hunting and wildlife, as well as the overall county coordinator training. Remember, volunteers will work with their local Extension 4-H staff to establish or add to an existing shooting sports program in the county. Learn more about the Illinois 4-H Shooting Sports program at: https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/programs/shooting-sports .
4-H Shotgun Instructor Needed For Vermilion County
Vermilion County 4-H Shooting Sports it looking for a Shotgun Instructor. This volunteer must be able to attend training this fall, October 13-15. For more details, contact Kristin at email@example.com or 217.442.8615.
Attend the Volunteer e-Forum
4-H volunteers are invited to the 2017 National 4-H Volunteer e-Forum! Join us and get energized as you network with volunteers, county-based staff, and state specialists from across the country! Leave with new ideas you can use to grow 4-H in your community. This training is applicable for adult volunteers and teen leaders alike.
Each session will be held from 6-7:30 p.m. and include dinner (5:30 p.m.) If you have any dietary restrictions, please contact your local Extension office to let us know. You do not have to attend all of the sessions; you can choose what sounds exciting to you or the dates that work best!
October 5, 2017 – 6:00-7:30 PM (Dinner @ 5:30)
Cultivating an Environment for Growing True Leaders
This session will help volunteers create environments that encourage growth and opportunity. Presenters will share activities that demonstrate positive youth development and foster life skills.
November 2, 2017 – 6:00-7:30 PM (Dinner @ 5:30)
“STEM”ming into Animal Science, Growing True Leaders
Gain resources to incorporate Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math (STEM) leaders through traditional animal sciences project areas in communities. During this session, volunteers will gain ideas for planning and organizing fun, educational session for youth.
December 7, 2017 – 6:00-7:30 PM (Dinner @ 5:30)
Helping 4-H’ers Grow in Life & Work
In 4-H, youth can explore their future, develop life skills and expand their interests. Join us during this session to share ideas and see a variety of successful programs and receive resources to use immediately. Together, caring adults can help all young people make decisions and create their own positive future.
Click HERE to register!
The Illinois 4-H website has a place for you to share the story of your 4-H adventure. We want to hear from you! Club leaders, we know you’re proud of your club members, so please take two minutes to tell us about your club and include a photo! We will feature all the stories on the website during the year. The share your story option is on EVERY program page and EVERY event page. Click https://4h.extension.illinois.edu/ to visit the Illinois 4-H website.