- Contact Information
- Subscribe to these events
- Send to a Friend
- Send to Social Media outlet
- College of Media | News Home
- 1258 views
Student Internships Awarded
Four Department of Journalism students will spend the summer as Dow Jones News Fund editing interns.
Open to juniors, seniors and graduate students, these paid internships are offered in business reporting, news, digital and sports copy editing. Prior to the 10-week internship, students also attend a week-long training seminar, and interns who return to college full time receive a $1,000 scholarship.
Students who earned internships are:
- Emily Siner, a senior, who will work on the copy desk at the Los Angeles Times.
- Kevin Dollear, a senior, who will work on the copy desk at the Tampa Bay Times in St. Petersburg, Fla.
- Alyssa Szynal, a junior, who will work on the copy desk at the Pioneer Press in St. Paul, Minn.
- Blake Pon, a junior, who will work on the sports copy desk at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
Another senior, Chad Thornburg, was awarded a Dow sports desk internship at the Omaha World-Herald, but he chose to accept an internship with MLB.com, covering the St. Louis Cardinals.
Other UI students who garnered MLB.com internships are Ethan Asofsky (Chicago), Jamal Collier (San Diego) and Jeff Kirshman (Oakland, Calif.)
MLB.com has hired UI graduates Kevin Kaplan and Jay Lee as full time editors working in New York.
Annalisa Rodriguez is a Pulliam Fellowship recipient who will be working at the Indianapolis Star.
Samantha Kiesel has received a sports editing internship with the Chicago Tribune.
Candace Norwood has a reporting internship with Newsday, New York.