Here & Now: Photos
Here & Now: Photos
- Graduate students Chen Fu (left) and Zhongzhou Chen (right) of the Chinese Crosstalk Club performed at University YMCA on February 18th, 2011, to showcase traditional Chinese crosstalk (Xiangsheng), which is a form of comedic dialogue. Photo by Hang Li.
- When Iftikhar Nagra's son, Muhammad, joined his dad at Illinois last summer, he had never been sledding. On sunny February 15, the doctoral student and his son spent time on the hill near Orchard Downs. Obviously, Muhammad very much likes sledding!
- Arica Inglis and Shawn Adderly pose next to their senior design project in the Senior Design Lab in Everitt Lab. Arica and Shawn built a four point and hot point probe for the ECE undergraduate IC Fabrication lab. The project won the department research award, given to the project that contributes the most to research at the University.
- Brent West took his camera out into the recent snowstorm and took this picture from the corner of Wright and Green Streets.
- Anthony Rohrer took this photograph of the Illini Union at night on Dec 15th. He writes, "This photo uses a technique called 'zoom blur' to create the radiating lines on light. They are not edited in."
- Students brave extreme weather conditions on the Quad, Feb. 1.
- Architecture student Kristen Kotche took this image of the famous Altgeld bells. She climbed to the top of the bell tower while investigating the historic building for a class project.
- Photographer Hang Li was among a group of Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate students who attended the Transportation Research Board Annual Conference in Washington D.C. in late January to give presentations on their cutting-edge research in transportation engineering.
- Light winds allowed the season's first big snowfall to pile on Alma's head and shoulders.
- The scene on Saturday morning, December 4, 2010, after some six inches of snow fell on Champaign-Urbana the preceding night.
- The second membership training for members of the Korean Illinois Transfers Entrance (KITE) student organization included a hike at Turkey Run State Park in Indiana.
- A few slides back we met the team of CEE grad students who presented their transportation research in Texas. Now we have to wonder whether their research involved equines. This memento photo was taken at the Austin Convention Center.
- Kadambari Jain and Laura Woelfle have taken it upon themselves to raise awareness of the 80s on the Illinois campus. They invite you to grab some tube sox, headbands, or leggings and join them in celebrating the decade of fashion failure.
- These graduate students from the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering attended the INstitute For Operations Research and the Management Sciences (INFORMS) Annual Conference in Austin, Texas on November 7-10, 2010, to present their research in transportation engineering.
- On a summer day when Nathan Chang (5 years old) had just arrived in Urbana-Champaign from Taiwan, he stood in front of the Alma Mater statue and made a wish: "One day I am going to college here!"
- Maggie, sporting her Illini cheerleader outfit. Alumna Amy Erickson's dog and house are decorated with Illini memorabilia. She says she has Illini salt and pepper shakers and an "Illini closet" that houses her family's orange and blue t-shirts, sweatshirts, jewelry, socks, and even ILLINI shoes.
- On October 13, Berit and her little friend, AJ, checked out the Alma Mater statue.
- The Chinese Students and Scholars Association held a Halloween party to give Chinese students an opportunity to experience American culture. Graduate students Ye Wang (left) and Chen Li (right) took a stab at pumpkin carving.
- Freshman roommates Sharon Cho, Amy Araiza, and Taylor Schulz display the Illini cornbread they made for the tailgate before the football game against Purdue on October 30.
- These four roommates attended the Homecoming football game against Indiana on Saturday October 23, 2010. From left to right they are Crystal Fox, Carlin Carpenter, Maxandre Balthazar, Jacques Anderson.
Leaders of the 1867 Society, a student group that aims to increase student giving to Illinois, show their Illini spirit with "the Orange and Blue Guy" before the Homecoming parade.
- Both of her parents are devoted Ohio State fans, but Lyla preferred to display an I sticker on her face during the Illinois vs. Ohio State home football game in October. Lyla, niece of current students Maggie Baker and Brigid Baker, spent the day cheering for the Illini!
- One of graduate student Shenghui Yang's photos of the crowd during the 2010 Homecoming game against Indiana, which the Illini won 43 to 13.
- The Illinettes at Illinois' 100th Homecoming celebration. Photo by Shenghui Yang.
- College of Business Honors students had the chance to have lunch and a Q&A session with legendary investor (and the world's third richest man) Warren Buffet.
- Allison Branson and her son were enjoying an autumn day when she took this picture of a campus icon.
- Spring semester 2010, a group of engineering students designed a bridge for a rural China village to help children travel safely to school. During the summer, members of Illinois Bridge to China built their bridge in Paomaping Township, Yunnan China. Left to right: Jake Zhao, Valeri Werpetinski, Andrew Smith, Jeff Sandler, Dypher Wang, and Charles Li.
- The Institute of Aviation hosted the National Intercollegiate Flying Association Regional Competition held on October 12-16, 2010. Here, pilot Joe McElwee fuels an airplane as his safety pilot, Matt Clawson, observes. Joe and Matt got second place in the navigation event and the University of Illinois flying team placed first, qualifying them for the national competition in May.
- Photography club members spent time at Lake of the Woods park in Mahomet. Siddhartha Verma writes, "We saw this really beautiful tree with leaves of all colors from green to red. So, we decided to play around a bit and this picture was the end result."
- Two winning teams from the 2010 Science Olympiad National Tournament held at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign were honored by President Barack Obama at the White House on Monday, October 18, 2010.
- Brandon Darroch (ENG, '07) was a Civil Engineering major and was also in Army ROTC program while on campus. Now he's a US Army captain serving his second tour of duty in Afghanistan. He wrote to his best friend and former roommate Dean Ordzowialy, "The Illini painting I actually came across in Ghazni which is south of Kabul and in the Polish battlespace... rather random!"
- These proud Illini (left to right: Danny Rogers, Sarah Bernhard, Kimberly Duff, Abby Ekstrand, Mollie Szmurlo, and Andrew Kustusch) painted themselves for the Ohio State football game. Abby Ekstrand writes, "Despite the cold temperatures and the outcome of the game, we had a blast and are proud to say we crossed one more item off our bucket list before graduation! Go Illini!"
- The Persian Cultural Association's "End of Summer" picnic at Hessel Park in Champaign included traditional Iranian kababs. Among the students enjoying the fall day (and the food) were (left to right) Yashar Heidari, Seyed Mohammad Nourbakhsh, Amir Saberi, Sobhan Seyedin, Payam Vatani and Sina Shahabi (sitting).
- Several physics faculty, including Nobel laureate Tony Leggett, participated in Science at the Market on a late September day. Illinois faculty members manned a booth at the Urbana Farmers' Market to answer science questions. This girl asked, "How was the moon made?"
- A group of girls spontaneously pose outside of the undergraduate library. Walter Oh took this photo during the photography club's monthly club outing.
Whether you’re celebrating Homecoming or Halloween, show your spirit at Oskee Boo Wow – a masquerade for people who love pets and pets who love parties -- October 21, 6:00-8:00 p.m. at the College of Veterinary Medicine. Oskee Boo Wow celebrates the human-animal bond and proceeds benefit the Humane Connection Fund created for patients with owners of limited means.
- Xiao Xu (in orange) and some of her fellow Illini students pose in front of the Alma Mater after dressing the statue to celebrate Chinese-American Unity Night, Sept. 25 at the Illinois-Ohio State volleyball match. Tickets are still available for the Huff Hall event.
- The Illinois Photography Club held its first meeting of the Fall semester on the steps of Foellinger Hall. Let's hope they send their pictures to Here & Now!
- Kunal Shrungarkar(left) and Suvrat Bhargava enjoy a beautiful late-summer Sunday morning on the Quad, just south of the Illini Union.
- These photos were taken from the 2010 Spring Ice Show at the University's Ice Arena. Natalie Lyman performs a program to the song "What a Wonderful World" at the 2010 Spring Ice Show at the campus Ice Arena. Photo by Armstrong Photography.
Another of the popular College of Veterinary Open Houses will be held October 3. More than 40 exhibits and demonstrations will illustrate the theme "Explore Your Instincts," including lots of interactions with animals and animal-related activities for young and old. The event is free; registration is not required. Free parking is available in Lot F-27 at 2001 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana. More information here.
- This is Illinois in Istanbul! Dr. Ercan Balci (linguistics) with his 12 students in Istanbul in May 2010 as a part of a short term study abroad course. "GLBL 298: Cultural Diversity in Modern Turkey" will also be offered for Winter Break 2010.
Germany, Summer 2010: Follow 12 Vet Med students as they study public health, food safety, infectious disease, and enjoy the sites. Read their blog!
- LEAD Students (Left to Right) Kalia, Dominique, and Christina, enjoying an evening outing of skating and laser tag. The 2010 LEAD Summer Business Institute Program at the University of Illinois College of Business aims to introduce talented high school minority students to the world of business by participating in a case competition, introductory business classes, and company visits.
- Student Tiffany Webb and Sheri Shaw, director of the Mannie L. Jackson Illinois Academic Enrichment and Leadership Program (I-LEAP) in the College of Applied Health Sciences, visit the Grand Canyon. They were in Arizona for the Golden Key International Honour Society conference.
- Student interns from the Center of Excellence for Airport Technology were treated to a visit to St. Louis, including a Cardinals baseball game, on July 22. Francesca Ferrera (center) and other interns were mentored by graduate students, including Daniel Castaneda (left) as well as faculty members.
- Dusty Rhodes received her master's degree in journalism in May. She was escorted to Commencement by her sons Milo, age 17, and Evan, age 9.
Civil Engineering graduate students Ibrahim Abuawad, Kivanc A. Avrenli, Riaz Khan, Zengyi Yang, and Seyed M. Nourbaksh represented Illinois at the 2010 Midwestern Traffic Bowl Competition, sponsored by the Institute of Transportation Engineers. The Illinois team won second place and enjoyed some time along the Mississippi River while in Minneapolis.
- Jessica Houston (left), Clare Johnson (middle), and Caroline Harless take some time to enjoy a beautiful day on the quad in their orange and blue. This was a few weeks before all three graduated in May.