College of Media | Alumni Notes
College of Media | Alumni Notes
- Tabe Bergman '13 PhDTabe Bergman's first book is forthcoming with VU University Press in Amsterdam: "The Dutch Media Monopoly: A political-economic analysis of the crisis in journalism in the Netherlands." Praise for The Dutch Media Monopoly: "Tabe Bergman has written a pioneering case study and critical analysis of the Dutch news media. [He] has taken the political economy of communication to new places, in the Netherlands and globally. This is first-rate research. We should hope that scholars in other nations will follow his lead." - Robert W. McChesney, Professor, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Dan Petrella '06 JOURN, MS '10 JOURNDan Petrella has been promoted to the position of assistant metro editor/projects coordinator for The State Journal-Register in Springfield, Ill., where he has been a staff writer since 2012, first covering Springfield's suburbs and more recently covering city hall. From May 2010 through March 2012, he was a reporter for CU-CitizenAccess.org. Petrella started his career at Suburban Life Publications in the Chicago suburbs.
- Spencer Turkin '12
Turkin has been named the new "Voice of the Aggies" for North Carolina A&T. A&T is a Division 1 program out of the MEAC and the Aggies won their first game in the NCAA Tournament last season. Learn more here.
- Ted Land '07 JOURNTed Land '07 JOURN recently won a Chicago/Midwest Emmy for solo video journalism. Land entered a collection of five stories which included breaking news and features. He is currently a multimedia journalist and reporter at WSBT-TV in South Bend, IN. This is his first Emmy.
- Anna Yee '10 JOURNAnna Yee has a new job with Delta Airlines. Anna has worked in TV news in her hometown Peoria with WEEK and WHOI-TV since graduating in 2010. She's been an anchor and reporter. "I really want to travel and explore while I have the chance," Anna said of her move to Delta. She hopes to return to TV someday, perhaps as a morning show host or in an entertainment role. Happy travels and Good Luck, Anna!
- Scott Martin '13Scott Martin has started a new job with CBS Sports in New York. Scott, a 2013 graduate, will be a Broadcast Associate for CBS Sports working in the production truck doing pre-game research and graphics for SEC football on CBS this fall. While at the U of I, Scott was very active with Illini Productions and Student U productions on the Big Ten Network. He was also a big part of the UI-7 News 2012 Election night coverage that won SPJ regional awards.
- Ash-har Quraishi will be Al Jazeera America's Chicago correspondent. Before joining Al Jazeera America, Quraishi was a correspondent for WTTW, Chicago's PBS station, where he reported for the nightly news program Chicago Tonight and contributed to the PBS NewsHour.
- Michelle Fleishman '13 JOURNMichelle Fleishman recently moved to Los Angeles to accept a job with a video production company called BUNIM MURRAY. Michelle tells us the company produces reality television shows such as: The Real World, Project Runway, Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Bad Girls Club, Love Games and Best Ink. She starts in August.
- The Illinois News Broadcasters Association has named Paul Davis 2013 Illinois of the Year.
- USA Gymnastics today announced that Luan Peszek of Indianapolis has been named vice president of women's program, effective immediately.