Obituaries are listed chronologically by order of notification.
College of Media | Obituaries
- Retired journalism teacher Fred Mohn died Thursday, January 1, 2015 in hospice care with lung cancer. He was 85
Jerry M. Landay, 83, of Bristol, departed this life on Aug. 1, 2013, passing in peace and comforted by his beloved wife, Sandy Chabot, and other family members.
Music lover, baseball fan, attorney and journalist Fred Speck was remembered by nearly 40 former Daily Illini staff members recently at a memorial gathering in Oak Park, Ill. Speck, 57, Daily Illini sports editor/columnist and 1977 journalism graduate, died of a heart attack Dec. 6, 2012, at his home in Chicago. The memorial was held in conjunction with opening day at Wrigley Field, where Speck was a season ticket holder.
- Mary Campbell '56 JOURN, whose childhood affection for the big bands and opera she heard on her radio set the stage for four decades as a music writer for The Associated Press, died Friday Oct. 19. She was 78.
- Sheldon Hoffenberg '60 JOURN passed away the weekend of June 30 after a short battle with cancer. He was 74.
- Dorothy "Daw" Hopkins was a trusted assistant to longtime Chicago entertainment columnist Maggie Daly for more than two decades. Ms. Hopkins, 87, died of natural causes Wednesday, April 18, at the Westmoreland Nursing Center in Lake Forest.
Lura Hazel Crossley passed away peacefully at her home in Greenbrae, March 5, 2012 at 87. Lura graduated with honors from the University of Illinois with a Journalism degree.
Russell “Ruck” W. Steger ’50 JOURN passed away on August 27, 2011, at the age of 85.
Karin Dovring, Ph.D., resident of Urbana and a specialist in propaganda analysis, was born in Sweden on Dec. 5, 1919, and died on Sunday (Aug. 7, 2011) at her home in Urbana.
- Eleanor Blum '58 PhD COMM
Eleanor Blum '58 PhD COMM was the first woman to receive her PhD from the College of Media and the Institute of Communications Research. Born in 1909, she was 102 when she passed away on Thursday July 7. Eleanor worked as the Head Librarian at the Communications Library and received emerita status upon retirement in 1977. Dr. Blum continued to publish her bibliographies of the field well into her retirement.
- Alfred M. Gertler '47 JOURN
Alfred M. Gertler '47 JOURN, Aug. 22, San Francisco.
- Edwin Jahiel
Edwin Jahiel, cinema studies professor, Dec. 14, Urbana, at age 85.
- James J. Dickey '48 JOURN
James J. Dickey '48 JOURN, '48 BUS, Nov. 7, Champaign.
- Karna Bloomberg Peterson '57 JOURN
Karna Bloomberg Peterson '57 JOURN, Oct. 10, Lincoln, Neb.
Your comments, news items, and Alumni Notes are welcome. Please e-mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org