CEAPS News & Announcement
CEAPS News & Announcement
- NTU Summer+ ScholarshipsGreetings from National Taiwan University!We are pleased to introduce our NTU Summer+ Chinese Studies and offer scholarships toUIUCstudents.Please refer to the following section for more information on fees and scholarships.ProgramPeriodOriginal FeesDiscount/ Waivers dedicated for your universitySession I:7/3-7/30, 2016Session II:8/1-8/30, 2016USD3,450USD400 discount for prospective applicantsSession I:6/19-7/23, 2016Session II:7/25-8/30, 2016USD3,950Full fee-waivers for 2 students(students can choose the session preferred)7/3-7/23, 2016USD2,950Full fee-waivers for 1 studentl Full fee waivers include tuition, accommodation, study materials, excursions, cultural events and accident insurance.For full fee waivers, prospective applicants should meet the following requirements:Competitive selections require that the applicant should have a strong background of East Asian studies and a good command (upper-intermediate level or above) of Mandarin. Classes are taught mainly in Mandarin.Competitive selections require that the applicant should have a strong background of East Asian studies and a good command (intermediate level or above) of Mandarin. Classes are taught mainly in English.Please feel free to refer to the flyer and our website for more details about our Summer+ programs: http://www.oia.ntu.edu.tw/short-term-programs/ntu-summerplusWe would appreciate it if you kindly pass this message to your students or nominate your students to us.The application deadline is April 30, 2016. Thank you.Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Job Opening: Associate Director - Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies
The Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies (CEAPS) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign seeks an Associate Director to assist the Director in all aspects of CEAPS activities, including academic programming, grant development and management.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The Associate Director will, in consultation and collaboration with the Center Director, oversee the daily functioning of CEAPS and manage Center programming, grant, and fellowship budgets;
- Implement and supervise educational and administrative conferences, workshops in consultation with faculty and Director of CEAPS;
- Manage visits of guest lecturers and researchers;
- Collaborate with other International Studies Center Associate Directors (on a rotating basis) on joint programming and other Center initiatives; supervise and work with the Outreach Coordinator to develop outreach programming in accordance with Center priorities and mission;
- Develop and manage grants, including semi-annual reporting;
- Contribute to grant proposals, narratives, and budgets; implement grant projects and programs; generate grant reports in cooperation with Director; contribute to evaluation of grant-related programs; attend, with the director, meetings with federal agencies and grant officials;
- Produce the CEAPS newsletter, including creating content;
- Oversee the Visiting Asian Scholar Program.
- Master’s degree in History, East Asian Studies, Pacific Studies, Anthropology, International Education, or closely related social science or humanities discipline.
- Initiative and ability to work well as a member of a team of faculty and staff to help implement the day-to-day activities of the Center and help chart its future directions.
- Ph.D. degree with a concentration on East Asia, Southeast Asia or the Pacific.
- Master's degree with a concentration on East Asia, Southeast Asia or the Pacific.
- Conversational fluency in an Asian language;
- Experience relevant to effective management of our joint (with Indiana University) U.S. Department of Education Title VI National Resource Center (including computer skills which include management of databases and on-line reporting).
- Experience or interest in other Pacific cultures;
- Excellent communication, managerial, supervision and organizational skills;
- Ability to work effectively with diverse constituencies both in and beyond the University (i.e., faculty, staff, students and foreign visitors)
- Ability to coordinate many diverse efforts (from on-campus programming to off-campus outreach).
- Experience managing Department of Education NRC grant
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full time regular (non-tenure track) academic professional position. Proposed start date is as soon as possible after closing date. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES AND DEADLINE INFORMATION
In order to ensure full consideration, please create your candidate profile through http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your application letter, resume or CV, and contact information for three references by the closing date of February 29, 2016. For further information, contact: email@example.com or 217-333-4850. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
Illinois is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or criminal conviction history. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. (www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu).
*** To download a PDF file: Long Ad EAPS AssocDirector AE 1-26-16EAO.pdf
- The Dave and Barbara Thomas Awards for Study AbroadThe Center for East Asian and Pacific Studies would like to bring to your attention the following scholarship opportunity:The Dave and Barbara Thomas Awards for Study AbroadThanks to a generous contribution by University of Illinois alumnus Dave Thomas and his wife Barbara, the Center for East Asian studies (CEAPS) is pleased to announce the establishment of two scholarships and two prizes for students participating in study abroad programs to Asian countries.Scholarships: Two scholarships, each in the amount of $2000, will be awarded to two students accepted into University of Illinois-endorsed summer, semester- or year-long study abroad programs in Asian countries. Students in semester- or year-long study abroad programs are required to enroll in classes in both language and culture. For summer programs, language-only programs also will be eligible. Priority will be given to students with excellent academic performance records and proven financial need. Both undergraduates and graduate students are eligible.To apply, students should submit the following materials via email to Elizabeth Oyler(firstname.lastname@example.org), Associate Director of CEAPS by February 28, 2016 in order to be considered for Study Abroad programs taking place in the 2016-17 academic year.1) Documentation of admission to a UI-approved summer, semester- or year-long study abroad program in an Asian country2) Official university transcripts for all Undergraduate and Graduate study3) 500-word essay in response to one of the following questions:a. How would the proposed study-abroad trip enrich your current studies?b. How would you describe the country that you are going to live and study in? How do you anticipate it to be different from your home country?c. If you were to introduce the U.S. to college students in the country you are visiting, what qualities would you focus on?d. What do you think are the challenges you are going to face during this study-abroad trip, and how would you prepare yourself to overcome the challenges?e. If you were to work/live in the country where you are going to visit in three years, how would you prepare yourself now?Prizes: The Thomas Essay Prize ($500) will be awarded for an outstanding student essay written as fulfillment of a course requirement during a study abroad program. The Thomas Documentary Prize ($500) will be awarded for one student video documentary of a study abroad experience. For award consideration, student essays and documentaries should be submitted by September 1st of the year during which they have participated in a study abroad experience, following completion of the program. Essays should be between 10 and 25 pages in length; documentaries between 10 and 30 minutes. Students wishing to submit a documentary are invited to participate in CEAPS-sponsored workshops on documentary film-making. For more information, please contact Elizabeth Oyler (email@example.com).
- Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship Program
It is a pleasure to inform you that The Ministry of Education and Culture of the Republic of Indonesia in cooperation the The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Indonesia is offering a one-year 'Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship Program' for academic year 2016/2017 (September 2106 - August 2017) to the foreign students.
The scholarship recipents will have an opportunity to be eligible for free tuition and other expenses. Application should be endorsed by the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia in Chicago at the address of 211 W. Wacker Dr. 8th Fl. Chicago, IL 60606. We must recieve the submission for the Darmasiswa scholarships no later than February 22, 2016.
Please find the application form and brief information of the 2016 Darmasiswa Indonesian Scholarship Program at our website (http://darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id/darmasiswa/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Application-Form-DRI-2016-2017.pdf). The detail information also available on the website: http://darmasiswa.kemdikbud.go.id/darmasiswa/
- CEAPS Brown Bag Series
CEAPS Brown Bag Series
How is Overseas Summer Camp? The Perspectives of Chinese Adolescents and Their Parents
Speaker: Joy (Zhuowei) Huang (Assistant Professor, University of Illinois)
Date/Time: Friday, February 19th, Noon – 1:00 pm
Location: Lucy Ellis Lounge, 1080 Foreign Language Building, 707 S. Mathews Ave., Urbana
**Please see the attached flyer for more details.