What's New on the IEL Web site...
The FAQ: What is the Kindergarten Entry Age in Illinois? provides answers to questions families may have about starting kindergarten. The IEL Project has an extensive Getting Ready for Kindergarten Resource List.
- In her latest blog, Dr. Susan Fowler discusses how developmental milestones, early learning guidelines, and early learning standards can provide guidance for adults who care for young children. They can serve as guides for early learning experiences that children should have during their early years in order to build a foundation for lifelong success.
- Dr. Lilian Katz has written a report for the nonprofit group Defend the Early Years. In her report Dr. Katz discusses the difference between academic goals and intellectual goals for young children.
- The latest edition of the IEL Project Quarterly Newsletter is now available. This newsletter highlights information about early care and education news and resources for teachers, parents, and caregivers.
A resource for families, Standards Start at Home, has been updated to reflect parent/child activities that align with the 2013 Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards. Activities found in this resource are provided through permission from the national Parents as Teachers and the Academic Development Institute.
- The Illinois Early Learning Project will mail posters and brochures of the Illinois Early Learning Guidelines for Children Ages Birth to Three Years Old (IELGS) free of charge to any address within the state of Illinois. The posters and brochures are available in English and Spanish. Please use the online order form or call us at (877-275-3227).
- The IEL Project staff will be presenting and exhibiting at conferences this spring. We look forward to sharing our resources with you at our conference presentations and our exhibit table.
- Another sample lesson plan on mathematics that corresponds to the 2013 Illinois Early Learning and Development Standards (IELDS) has been added to the IEL Project website. Like others, the plan includes a list of adaptations that will help teachers tailor the lesson to young children with a variety of learning needs.
- In her latest blog Dr. Lilian Katz shares her thoughts on the role of insight in decision-making in early childhood teaching.
- The Illinois Early Learning Project Quarterly News (October-December, 2014) is available. Articles include information about ENTICE Workshops for teachers, Screen Sense Guide from Zero to Three, Dr. Jean Mendoza's blog on Play and many other items of interest to families of young children and the early care and education community.
Return to the IEL RSS Feed page.