UNIVERSITY OF ILLINOIS HOMECOMING PARADE
RULES & REGULATIONS
October 27, 2017
*Indicates instructions for traditional large scale floats
ALLOWABLE FLOAT DIMENSIONS:
o Width: 11-ft. maximum
o Height: 12-ft. maximum
o Length: Any length acceptable
o Absolutely no tandem
o Floats must be made of fireproof materials only.
o Materials must be able to pass a standard match test the day of the parade.
o Only flame-retardant paints allowed.
o No open flames, candles, flashpots, etc. allowed on the floats.
o Decorations such as pomps can be purchased at Dallas and Co., located at 101 E. University Ave. in Champaign. One package of pomps costs $1.99 and includes 300 pieces of paper, enough to cover 4 square feet.
RULES & REGULATIONS:
· All floats must be self-supporting and well-constructed.
· Decorations cannot obstruct vehicle doors, windows or exhaust pipes.
· All entries must be able to move at parade speed (approximately 5 mph) and able to move faster in case of emergency.
· Drivers and those riding on the float must have immediate access to exit in case of emergency.
· One multipurpose dry chemical fire extinguisher with a U.L. rating of 2A:10B:C and one flashlight (2 D batteries or bigger) must accompany each float.*
· Four people must walk with each float/vehicle and be able to quickly remove it in case its original power source fails.*
· The rear of all floats must be lit (there will be no police escorts after the parade).
· No floats are to be built on University property without prior permission.
· There is no monetary limit.
· Your organization is solely responsible for the float and vehicle, so please be careful.
· If you wish to give out candy, it may be distributed only by the 4 or more walkers on either side of the float or vehicle; candy may NOT be thrown from any vehicle.
· People walking and/or standing on the float are considered part of the parade entry.
· Vehicle drivers much have a valid drivers’ license and proof of insurance
· Alcohol and other drugs are prohibited by anyone participating in the parade