At Illinois, we measure success by the impact our students, faculty, and alumni have in the world.
Our focus is on providing transformational learning experiences – in the classroom and out of it. And when you do this for nearly 150 years, people take notice.
U.S. News & World Report Rankings
The 2021-22 U.S. News & World Report's America's Best Colleges rankings rated Illinois as the number 15 public university and the number 47 national university.
U.S. News & World Report's graduate and undergraduate rankings
- 1 The graduate program in library and information science at the School of Information Sciences is ranked 1st in the nation.
- 3 & 2 The Department of Accounting ranks 3rd in undergraduate programs and 2nd in graduate programs.
- 3 The campus ranks 3rd in undergraduate civil engineering.
- 2 The campus ranks 2nd in undergraduate materials engineering.
- 1 The campus ranks 1st in the study of condensed matter physics.
- 6 & 10 The Grainger College of Engineering is ranked 6th in undergraduate and 10th in graduate programs nationally.
Unless noted otherwise, these represent the most recent information available.
U.S. News Historical Ranking Downloads
Open Doors - International Excellence
Open Doors ranks Illinois first among public universities in the number of international students.
Peace Corps Volunteers
Illinois ranked 20th in the nation among major universities in the number of undergraduate alumni who joined the Peace Corps in 2011.
More High Rankings From National and International Institutions
In 2019, the Institute for Higher Education at Shanghai Jiao Tong University (Academic Ranking of World Universities) ranked Illinois as the 38th best university in the world and 10th among American public universities.
This content managed and updated by Public Affairs